Monday 11 June 2012

Day 1 at JLC by Lera Yakubova

I am really happy about my two week stay at JLC. The first day was great although I was very nervous. My host drove to the college and accompanied me to the international office. First Helen explained everything about the college and all the other things I needed to know - a lot of information. Then there was the best part of the day – the tour. The college itself is huge, has a lot of blocks. I was really lost at first. I got to meet all the teachers and see different classrooms. There’s a really big difference between everything in comparison to Ukraine but in a good way.

My first lesson was French. I study French in Ukraine so it was fine. We watched a film on the emigration theme which we are supposed to study during these last two weeks. The movie itself had both English and French languages because the action took place in both countries. The teacher was great, she explained and commented on everything making it very easy to understand.

Then there was biology and we studied ecosystems. We had to do a practical to measure the population of snails in the college pond. For this we collected some snails to mark and release afterwards. That was quite unusual. I had never had an outside biology lesson before.

Math was the last lesson. Right now all the students are walking through the themes and topics they will be studying in September. Trigonometry is a bit different, and the ways to solve are too but overall I managed to keep up.


Lera at the college pond where she examined the creatures during her first biology lesson

No comments:

Post a Comment