Monday 11 February 2013

Gwen's experience (Thursday 7 February)


Hi! I am Gwen Chan and I come from Hong Kong.

I am joining the JLC A-Level Taster Course for this week. This is my fourth day; I think I am definitely having a good time in college. :)

I join this course because I like the A-Level course in England, and I am thinking of quitting the HKDSE to continue study in England. Also, my cousin had recommended that JLC is a good school for international students. So when I was worried about how should I make a good decision, I heard about this taster course. Then I decided to have a try, and hoping to gain experience from here too.

My first impression of college is “Big”. I think the college is really big that I will not be able to get used to it! The college is like 5 times larger than my school in HK, and the facilities are very impressive, so are the students I met here, they are nice and friendly.
 
I think the JLC international centre is very helpful, and every staff in the office is being so friendly to me! When I was here on the first day, I was very nervous, the teachers in the centre helped me to calm down, and this gave me a brilliant impression of the college.

I am living in a host family now, and my host mother is a teacher of JLC. I feel warm living in a host family, as we can always have a chat with different things we have done during the day, and eat dinner together, etc. Personally, I prefer living in host family more than in the school dorm.

I have been to UK twice before, one is for a study tour and the other one is for sightseeing. However, after a few days of school life in JLC, I feel like I am a real UK student now, though the weather is a bit cold, I am still enjoying life here in UK.

I am studying Economics, Geography, Psychology, Sociology, Maths, and Chemistry in the Taster Course. The subject I like the most is Sociology and Economics. I have been learning about “Childhood” in Sociology, “Aggregate Demand & Supply” in Economics. I found it a little difficult, but very interesting! I really enjoyed the lessons. Therefore, I will continue with these 2 subjects in the future if I am coming again.

I have been learning by doing practical work, discussion and group work in the lessons,  I think a diversity in learning ways is important, as I can learn by myself and from others.

As I have mentioned, I am here for this taster course, and hoping to make the best decision after trying the A-Level course. I think the taster course has helped me a lot with my decision, I am now much more confident in making the decision that will affect my future life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment